Re: Re : Fwd : Re : Re : [Gimp-developer] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@xxxxxxxxxx]

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:42:37 +0100
> From: "Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" <jean-luc.coulon@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
> Cc: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [iso-8859-1] Re : Fwd : Re : Re[iso-8859-1]  :
>     [Gimp-developer[iso-8859-1] ] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@xxxxxxxxxx]
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> Le 13.03.2004 16:20, Sven Neumann a écrit :
> >Hi,
> >
> >"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" <jean-luc.coulon@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> >> I don't think my font size is so huge ;-)
> >
> >Well, your font isn't that huge but you've choosen a very wide font.
> >It's of course up to you, but you will be suffering from this problem
> >in all dialogs. I suggest you don't use an oblique font for your
> >desktop.

I've always been told that for localisation reasons you have always have
to leave extra space anyway, most noteably up to 2/3 extra for the
talkative Germans (I think that is the usual figure that gest mentioned
but dont quote me on it).

For accessibility reasons space for larger fonts would be also be needed.

I think it would be an interesting change if the GIMP had splash screen
that was Landscape, but that it really up to Jimmac of course but it would
help cover up this glitch.

> While we are speaking of splash screen a 3:2 ratio or 4:3 ratio or
> "magic number" ratio rectangle instead of a square shape would looks
> even better, but it is a matter of taste  ;-)

aha! but do you try and anticipate the size of the status bar,
window and window decorations and attempt to have it so that the overall
ratio is 3:2/4:3 or do you just do it for the image?  (consider that a
rhetorical question).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

PS How are the Splash and About images still PPM format* because I was
wondering why they aren't in a smaller format like PNG?
(* I dont have the latest copy of GIMP 2.0 handy otherwise I'd check)