Re: [Gimp-developer] The GIMP Foundation

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Kelly Martin wrote:

> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:09:51 -0600
> From: Kelly Martin <kmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Nathan Carl Summers <rock@xxxxxxxx>,
>      gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] The GIMP Foundation
>
> Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> > If sueing copyright violators is the main goal, I'd rather let the
> > Free Software Foundation do this job. It is probably in a lot better
> > position when it should ever come to a law-suit.
>
> The FSF can't sue someone unless it owns at least some part of the code in
> question.  The FSF's solution to this has been to seek assignment of copyright.
>   Do you want to assign the GIMP copyrights to the FSF?

I can tell you that although the FSF much prefer to have some ownership
of the code it is not an absolute necessity and that as it is in their
interest to defend the GPL they have been very helpful to projects that
did not fall directly under their banner.  Just ask Bradley Kunh.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/