Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Misnamed structure element in SFScript structure?

At 02:13 PM 02/05/2004, Carol Spears wrote:
okay, i dont really like script-fu.  i cant read it and it has this way
of not telling gimp when it has made an image.

I am starting to notice a lot of people saying they don't like Script-Fu. As for not being able to read it, that is not helped by the fact that the sample scripts are what I would call obfuscated. By treating the scripts like any other computer program, the proper use of white space and bracket placement greatly improves ones ability to read a script and see the syntax of the language of the script. One of the tutorials I saw for Guile makes a mention of this and shows the Scheme code formatted much better than anything in any of the existing Script-Fu scripts.

Is the Script-Fu interpreter supposed to specifically tell GIMP when it has made an image? What function call do other plug-ins use to tell GIMP when they have made an image?

yet, even if there is one user of gimp on windows, these users are used
to one button making of images and some of the functions that the
scripts give to gimp.  i think there would be a lot more griping and
tutorial pointing if you do anything to make it so it is difficult to
install the script thing.

If Script-Fu gets dropped in favour of something else at some point, a Windows installer for the GIMP could be updated to include the extra library or dll needed to use the Script-Fu replacement to keep the installation easy for Windows users. In a Linux (*nix) environment, the GIMP package would only need users to have an additional package installed in order to use the replacement. I don't see installation as being a big issue. It can be handled in the best way once a replacement is available.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb@ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"