Re: [Gimp-developer] Handling of transparent pixels

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 17:59, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> Basically, the model that we should promote is:
> - layer mask    => hiding mechanism, reversible
> - alpha channel => pixels that are cleared have undefined RGB data,
>                    not reversible (except for undo)
>
> Breaking this model should be avoided, except in very special cases
> (i.e. obscure features for hackers).

I'm sorry, Raphaël, but I do not agree with you on this issue either. I
don't see why we should limit the gimp when there is no, at least to me,
obvious reason to do so.

I think you will have to accept the fact that this proposed change will
not make it into gimp, at least not at this point in development. Allow
me to refer to the minutes of the gimpcon meetings -
http://developer.gimp.org/gimpcon/2003/minutes-1.html#decisions - where
we agreed not to continue discussions just for the sake of the
discussion. I think we have all had a chance to comment on the proposed
changes at this point, and I suggest that we leave it be.

I actually think Joao S. O. Buenos patch to the PNG plug-in is a nice
addition/work around the optimization problem - I have yet to try it
out, though.

Sincerely,
./Brix
--