Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP at GUADEC

David Neary wrote:
Hi all,

Following up from the mail last week discussing the date and
location of GIMPCon, here's the state of play on the various
possibilities discussed.

1) GUADEC: The GNOME crowd are delighted to have us, the guadec
planning committee are very eager, and are now planning a
graphics/multimedia stream for the conference. I am now on the
guadec-planning mailing list, and if we go to guadec I'll be
co-organising the graphics stream (I wonder why I asked for a
volunteer to do this...).

<cut>

So the situation as it is is that we should decide pretty quickly
where we want to have the conference. Does having it at GUADEC
pose any problems for anyone? Personally I think this is the best
option available to us, even if it will pose us some fundraising
problems.

I like the GUADEC idea technically. From a personal, selfish, un-gimp-like, I want to see the world point of view, London, Lyon, and Dublin have been on my list of places to see for quite some time. However, I think GAUDEC, especially since they are excited to have us and are sound willing to accomadate our needs, is better for us as a project.

I am not sure if there are going to be fund raising issues, per say. We are probably one of a relativly small set of projects going that don't have any regular funding, so I am willing to wager that the funding will be no more trouble for us that it is normally.

Also, as far as volunteers go, obviously I am not the best person to be planning anything happening in Europe (at the very least my sleep schedule couldn't handle it). However, if you have anything you would like or can be delagated to me, please ask.

For our part, it would be nice to see 2 or 3 papers presented by
GIMP people, and the organisers have asked whether it would be
possible to have GIMP demonstrations similar to the one that
jimmac did last year. The papers could be quite in-depth and
technical, given the nature of GUADEC, or could be more aimed
towards users and have a tutorial feel to them.

I should really give a presentation on Gegl there. This would encourage me to get off my ass and write technal white papers discussing the huge about of planning I feel I have put into gegl. This would be good for me, too, as writing down ideas always provides a good oppurtunity to improve on them. Also writing down ideas provides a good chance for people to critizie those ideas, which would also be good.

So - speak up. What do ye think? Are we going to GUADEC? Should I
continue exploring Lyon in case it doesn't work out? Are there
other possibilities?

What are your feelings here? Do you think there is a chance GAUDEC won't work out?

--
Dan