Re: [Gimp-developer] Screenshot plug-in status

From: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Screenshot plug-in status
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:49:42 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Hans Breuer wrote:

> >Unfortunately the GIMP only me to choose File, Aqquire, From Clipboard.
> Which you never tried at least _once_ before complaining ?

I think you have misunderstood me.
I used it many times, it works and I use what is available.
I only mention it now because changes are being made to the screenshot
code and perhaps there might be a better way to do screenshots and
streamline the workflow.

> Though from the users point of view there may be no differnce between
> 'Copy' (== here Program internal and fast)
>   and
> 'Copy from Clipboard' (== system global, data across process boundaries,
>                        kind of slow)

I am aware that the system clipboard is different and slower, but isn't
the real performance loss is from the user point of view.

I only ask that you take a moment and consider if there might be a way to
make things faster for the user which is where speed really counts.
Could some of the handling of the system clipboard be done automatically
and only when needed to mitigate the speed tradeoff?  If is impractical
fair enough, I was just asking because the code was being changed anyway.

well, i am very happy with the way GIMP's clipboard and buffers are kept separated from the win32 clipboard, i frequently keep text lying around in the win32 clipboard that i may well use frequently, but i very rarely need to copy image data outside of the GIMP, and this way i can have all my named buffers, i can cut and paste between GIMP images while keeping my text in the clipboard for use in text editors and web browsers, handy if you're multitasking.

so, on to screenshots, i sometimes use alt-printscrn and acquire, but more often acquire screenshot, as that way i don't nuke the contents of the clipboard.

i may have completely missed the point here, but i think keeping clipboard functions the way they are and maybe adding a paste as new from clipboard function along with the others so that acquire doesn't have to be used every time.

Phil.

- Alan