Re: [Gimp-developer] Portable XCF

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 03:02:46PM +0200, Tino Schwarze wrote:
| > Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/) implements a versioned FS
| > using a Sleepycat's Berkeley DB database. It has a full library
| > implementation which any application could use.
|
| Well, using a database as container might be a good idea. I'm not quite
| familiar with Berkeley DB but it might be useful as a backend.

Subversion provides its own client library for accessing the virtual file
system. You won't have to work with the DB directly. It also provides an
abstracted recover facility in one of its utilities (in case of stale locks).

| > Imagine that images could be revisioned. Subversion also uses a hybrid
| > delta algorithm for binary diffs.
|
| Worst case: I make my black image white. That's the point where a binary
| diff will only waste processing power.

I said hybrid delta algorithm for binary diffs. I didn't say
straightforward A - B diffing.

Even if your images are black and white, they are most likely stored in a
compressed format (if a Subversion based GIMP file format was ever
invented), and if such compressed files are revisioned, no
generic algorithm is going to give you a good difference.

The whole Subversion thing was a far fetched *idea*. An alternative,
which is most definitely going to be blown off as there are more
reasonable ways of implementing the GIMP file format which are not far
fetched.

Mukund