Re: [Gimp-developer] Redo shortcut

From: Tom Mraz <t8m@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Gimp Developer List <gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: usability@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Redo shortcut
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:18:18 +0200
Sender: gimp-developer-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe we could hard-code two keybindings to work as the
default, couldn't we?

Technically possible, but extremely horrible, since the user has to be educated about it. And since the only argument in favour of the less ergonomic C-S-Z is "easier to learn", that sounds even worse than leaving it at C-R.

I'd suggest to leave the C-R as default keybinding and hardcode the C-S-Z. Then if you move from photoshop or HIGified Gnome apps, it will work for you. But the (IMHO) much more ergonomic C-R stays as the default for newbies. As it was said earlier the ergonomics of Redo operation in for example text editor is less important as you don't use it so often and you don't switch between Undo and Redo very fast and frequently.

Tom Mraz

sounds like a good option, of course, it would confuse things if a user wants to apply SH+CT+Z to some other function(not sure why they'd want to, but it's possible).

just out of interest, what on earth made the GNOME HIG people think that SH+CT+Z was a good combo for anything? and is there a good reason (HIG rules wise) for not allowing use of CT+R? it's not like there's a refresh of reload funciton in GIMP(although it could be handy, i still wouldn't want it attached to CT+R)

you've got to remember that from a Photo$hop perspective undo and redo are unimportant, everything's done with history, and undo is normally only one level(that's how i remember those horrible experiences anyway) or is it Ct+Z becomes Redo once you've undone once, either way, it's deeply unpleasant and i don't want to talk about it :P

Phil.