Re: [Gimp-developer] Edit Alpha as Mask

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 21:28, Sven Neumann wrote:

> On a related note: In 1.3 we introduced the possibility to initialize
> the mask from the layers alpha channel. This is still unfinished since
> it should probably transfer the alpha channel to the mask by making
> the layer all opaque. The open question here is if this should be the
> default behaviour. It might be confusing since the other ways of
> initializing the layer mask don't touch the layer's alpha channel.
> Any opinions on this, anyone?

I would love to see this be the default. The 'transfer' of the alpha
channel to the mask feels very intuitive to me since I'm familiar with
the concept of layer masks. I want to edit the layer's transparency.
That's what the mask is for. Having this additional concept of a
separate alpha channel is somehow confusing I would say.

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx>