Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: [Gimp-user] [Fwd: Gimp interface streamlining]

Hi there.

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 13:24, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Adam D. Moss" <adam@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Willie Sippel wrote:
> > > Check my new mockup, I've changed this. It's available at
> > > http://www.zeitgeistmedia.net/gimp/gimpstreamline2.png .
> >
> > I rather like the way this is going.
>
> Well, surely the screenshot looks nice. The question is if this is a
> useable interface that is both intuitive to newbies as well as
> productive for experts. The mockup brings up a couple of good points.
> However none of them are really new. A lot of this is implemented in
> the 1.3 series, some points are scheduled for implementation, some
> were dropped.
>
> I just want to point out that it doesn't make any sense to say yes or
> no to the mockup. It just raises a couple of ideas that need to be
> discussed (and eventually coded).

These suggestions were never about reinventing the wheel, and most of
these 'enhancements' were inspired by some other, professional
applications - so I think most of them are indeed productive. On the
other hand, I don't know about the newbies. But the problem is - as I
see it right now - , that the Gimp is too 'intuitive' for professionals,
and too 'productive' for newbies.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the Gimp, and especially the way it's
going, e.g. gegl. I really admire the work that is done, and I care for
this project - that's why I wanted to give something back.
My mockups and suggestions are intended as a base for discussing those
aforementioned issues.

The basic question is: For what kind of users is/ was Gimp designed?
Judging by the very advanced technical possibilities and the current
roadmap, I would think the project is aimed at professional users...

I would like this thread to become a pool for suggestions, collecting
ideas to improve the usability of the Gimp, and discuss those changes
with the developers.

So, if someone replies to this thread, explain what suggestions you like
(or dislike) and why, and add your own ideas and concerns.

Thank you.