Re: [Gimp-developer] tentative GIMP 2.0 release plans

Daniel Egger wrote:

Am Sam, 2003-07-19 um 14.09 schrieb Branko Collin:

Isn't Rebecca Walter part of the team anymore?

Her new job took over all her spare time so she couldn't actively participate. She promised to chime in when there's some content to proof it but since there's not much to proof....

I could spare a couple of hours, but not much more. Perhaps if there is some simple task I could perform, say copying and pasting stuff from the 1.2 documentation?

This was exactly what we were trying to avoid since we're not too happy with the content and the structure of the GUMP.

I think there's two sensible ways to continue from this point:
1) Transform the old help into something that will serve more or less
  as help for the new GIMP. This will cost quite some amount of time
  since the help browser is not uptodate and most of the content
  doesn't exactly fit the 1.3 UI anymore.
  This would leave gimp-help2 as a playground for a really new manual
  and online help which might get more love once "2.0" is out.
2) Pump a lot of loving into the new framework to be at least a little
  help to people needing online help. I'm not exactly happy with this
  because I'd rather have no online help than one which closely
  resembles the usefulness of the help of most Windows programs like:
  "Close - Clicking this button will close your open file".

If you want to help us getting a nice documentation we'd really
appreciate if you had a look at the gimp-help2 framework and submit
some content in XML/DocBook directly to the CVS or in any other
format to us and we'll plug it in.

Mel, I'd love to hear your standpoint and ideas.

PS: I've some nice ideas how to get more exposure and thus help from the
community for this project but unfortunately I've to keep a business
running which consumes quite a bit of time at the moment. If anyone
wants to talk about or realise those or even better ideas this is the
right time and place to chime in.

Hi,

I have been messing around with the information found in the pdb and what I would need to use docbook-website. I don't really understand what my problem with other software is, but the structure of a gimp docbook-website was terrible. So much like everything else I tried.

After I spent a day with docbook-website, I got my XML in a Nutshell book out again. I have the beginnings of a dtd for a single plugin document. It is a "chapter 3 level of complexity" dtd. Which means they promised to explain how to reduce some of the redundant lists at a later chapter, and all the other limitations that being on chapter 3 would imply.

It is difficult to share a "freshman" attempt with developers.
If anyone is interested in seeing what I am doing, helping, commenting or running it through validation devices, feel free
to suggest the best way to share these files.

I have 2 files.  plugin.xml and plugin.dtd, I think they can
get information from the individual plugins and make web pages
from them, eventually.

I am not certain what has been done so far. I do know that my
dtd's will be written using plugin and plugins as the namespace for these entities. I will not argue but direct you
to page 42 of my XML in a Nutshell book. Also page 17. First
Edition.

I also will not write any English documentation until I can afford to buy that book that explains the English rules about
hyphens.

thanks for your time,
carol