Re: [Gimp-developer] What's new in GIMP-1.3 so far

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 07:20:13PM +0200, Hans Breuer <Hans@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Sven,
> is it time to flame again ?

Please, although I am easily at flaming, I do not intend to do it, nor was
it my intent to put off Sven, who works _so_ much, nor is it useful to
start a flamewar with sven, who invests so much effort into gimp, without
ever wanting a thanks.

It was also not my intent to undermine the efforts that went into 1.3. I
*know* a lot has been done.

My *opinion* is just that naming it 2.0 is not a good service, regardless
of how much work was put into it.

I am convinced that a version number like 1.4 or 1.8 or 1.8 or 1.10
or... should be equally fine to tell people just how much work and
effort has been put into the release.

The reason I was relatively upset is that the main argument is always
"everybody else has 2.0", and I simply think that is dishonest and
not useful to people.

It's not dishonest because sven et. al. were lazy, to the contrary. My
deepest respects for the whole rewrite, cleaning up etc. of the source
tree. It sure was a lot of work that wasn't honored accordingly.

I can fully understand if sven gets upset now when he interprets my mails
as "you didn't do enough to earn a 2.0".

If making it version 2.0 is the only way to honor the hard work, so be it,
I don't oppose this.

I just hope that there are better ways to show this, more fulfilling
ways.

Please, don't flame (as I almost started to do in my earlier mails),
it's of no use and will only give sven the feeling that people don't
acknowledge what he does. A disaster that would be.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxx      |e|