[Gimp-developer] makes it sense to add native CMYK support to GIMP?

Hi all,

I am a computer science student looking for a final year project. I'd love
to do something in the Open Source community and I am looking around where
my help might be needed. Having a little interest in graphics design and
prepress, I came across GIMP and CMYK support. The little research I've done
gives me the impression that over the last couple of years it's regularly
been asked for and it might be an important feature to get GIMP into the
pre-press world.

What I'd like to know is the following:
1. Is anybody actually working on this? There were hints now and then that
people are thinking about it, but I didn't find anything definite, apart
from an entry "Additional ColorModels" on the GEGL todo list
(http://developer.gimp.org/gegl-todo.html) that seems to point in that
direction.
2. How important is this really? What I am talking about is native CMYK
support, not just a conversion function. There was a thread on the
developers-list in November 2001
(http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01350.
html) that gives the impression that it might not be all that important and
that there might be cheaper workarounds (converting when saving, spot color
channels). How important is a CMYK mode for people working in prepress?
3. Any guesses on the effort to implement this?

I'd appreciate it if you could answer asap, since I have to hand in my
project proposals very shortly.
Thanks
Stefan

Mit der Grupppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail können Sie eine SMS an alle