Re: [Gimp-developer] Adding feature - user defined layer combination

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" <gwidion@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I wrote yesterday that I was writting a XOR layer combine mode.

[snip]
> So, it ocurred to me that with something more elaborated than what I
> did, there could be implemented a "custom layer combine" mode.
> Them, one "custom" option would be added in the layer mode/paint
> options,a nd the actual pixel operations for this would be defined
> in a dialog box somewhere else, maybe even as a plugin.

I like the idea of pluggable paint-modes since the API would probably
be relatively simple. This makes it an ideal candidate for providing a
GimpModule interface to it:

  http://developer.gimp.org/api/1.3/libgimpmodule/index.html

For an example have a look at the GimpColorDisplay API:

  http://developer.gimp.org/api/1.3/libgimpwidgets/GimpColorDisplay.html

and a simple impplementation:

  http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gimp/modules/cdisplay_gamma.c

> So, I would like to know if you think this could be an itneresting
> feature.  What could and could not be done here. If we get to an
> interesting final idea here, I think I can write, with ocasional
> questions to you, the necessary code to make it work.

First of all, we are of course interested in your patch that
implements XOR as a new layer mode. It might be a little late to
integrate pluggable paint-modes now since we really need to get a
release done soon. So we might want to include your new layer mode now
and develop pluggable paint-modes in parallel. It could then be merged
when the code is branched after the release.

Sven