Re: [Gimp-developer] Pattern image licenses

On 26 Apr 2003, at 14:18, Sven Neumann wrote:
> "Branko Collin" <collin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > It would be nice to give the data shipped with GIMP an
> > > overhaul before we ship the next version.
> >
> > What do you mean by 'overhaul'?
>
> I mean that it would be nice if someone would take the time to go
> through the data, check if things should be added, removed, reordered,
> renamed, whatever.

TML's 1.2.2 Windows build came with a file called helentr.txt that
carried the following statement:

"All patterns were made by Helen Triantafillou.
http://members.designheaven.com/~helentr/

You may use them in any way you like.  Enjoy!"

This file lists 16 patterns.

Of the files I currently see in my local CVS directory of GIMP HEAD
(last updated 3 Feb 2003), I see 56 pattern files. Of these, only
four have the same name as the Triantafillou files, and none of them
the same file size:

bark.pat, brick.pat, paper.pat, wood1.pat.

So unless Elliot Lee can tell us otherwise, I think we should rely on
Kelly Martin's memory and assume we do not necessarily have a license
to redistribute these image files.

Of course, it is possible we do not need a license; the works may be
too small to deserve copyright protection. IANAL, however.

I'll look into this further.

> Especially the brushes we ship need some
> maintainance. Lots of them could be converted from pixmap brushes to
> parametric (generated) brushes. This would allow to edit them (or
> rather edit a duplicate).

And this too.

--
branko collin