Re: [Gimp-developer] ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.14

Hi,

Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > GIMP 1.2 refuses to load the files since they are written in XCF
> > version 2 and 1.2 doesn't know how to handle this format. IMO this is
> > the only reasonable way to handle new layer formats.
>
> If I was a GIMP 1.2 user I'd much more appreciate a warning dialog and
> then having the image loaded with wrong layer modes. This is the same as
> with broken xcfs. I love the way GIMP tries to load as much off the
> broken file as possible.

We discussed this but unfortunately we can't add a warning dialog to
an application which has already been released. The current solution
assures that almost all files written by 1.3 can be read with 1.2. The
XCF version number is only increased if the new layer modes are used.
Users of GIMP-1.2 will have to ask a GIMP-1.3 user to change the layer
mode and save the file in XCF version 1 for them.

Salut, Sven