Re: [Gimp-developer] ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.14

Hi,

"Branko Collin" <collin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Only if you use any of the new layer modes that have not
> > been available in 1.2, the XCF file will not be compatible with
> > GIMP-1.2.
>
> Does that mean 1.2 won't load these at all, or will it just render
> the affected layers incorrectly?

GIMP 1.2 refuses to load the files since they are written in XCF
version 2 and 1.2 doesn't know how to handle this format. IMO this is
the only reasonable way to handle new layer formats.

I will try to avoid this problem for the text layer we've introduced,
so that it will eventually be possible to load XCF files with text
layers using GIMP-1.2 (the text wouldn't be editable however). The
idea is to use a parasite similar to what GDynText did. One might even
implement parsing of GDynText parasites which would make text created
with gdyntext in 1.2 editable with the 1.3 text tool. Don't get this
wrong, this is all just plans, at the moment, no text layer info is
written to the XCF yet.

Salut, Sven