Re: [Gimp-developer] Preview widget name

On 3 Apr 2003, at 4:13, Ernst Lippe wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 16:05:52 -0800
> Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:41 PM, Kevin Myers wrote:
> >
> > > Personally I don't think that it sounds too bad at all, especially
> > > considering the lack of other decent alternatives suggested so
> > > far...
> >
> > I think the average American will think it was translated funky and
> > assume it is the work of an amateur. Of course, this is just my
> > humble opinion.
>
> But it is the work of an amateur, up till now nobody has
> offered me any payment for it.

Perhaps you two are using different meanings for 'amateur': one being
'unpaid', the other 'low-quality'. Of course, in the old days,
amateur meant 'noble', 'high-quality', because an amateur was
something who did not need to do something for a living. The word
'amateur' had a similar meaning that 'hacker' does among hackers.

--
branko collin
collin@xxxxxxxxx