Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Some feedback on Gimp 1.3.x

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:48:32 +0100, Olivier Ripoll <olivier.ripoll@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> MArk Finlay wrote:
> > 1. Everyone loves a good splash screen, but now Gnome has
> > startup-notification which kinda makes them superflous. [...]
>
> I want the splash screen! ;) I've seen Jimmac has done a new (or updated) one
> in the changelog for today, and already look forward to see it!

Besides, not everyone is running the GIMP under GNOME.  I use GNOME on
all of my Linux boxes, but none of my Solaris boxes have GNOME
installed so the startup notification would not work there.

> > 2. To a lot of new users the way Gimp works is quite alien. A lot of
> > users just get used to it, but some find it too weird. One of the
> > hardest things to get used to is right clicking on an image to access
> > the menus. [...]
> > For users who want to use the rightclick menu, the menubar is
> > un-obtrusive and can be turned off if they really hate having it there,
> > and for a lot of users this will be invaluable. I know the option is
> > there already, but it's the defaults that matter. Newbies are not going
> > to go looking for a menubar that they don't know exists.

I agree with this.  As an experienced user, I would not use the menu
on top of the image windows because I can work faster with the
right-click menu, but it should be enabled by default so that new
users do not feel lost for the first time they use the GIMP.  I would
go as far as suggesting that the default should be to have a WiW MDI
model (at least for the Windows version, maybe even for other
platforms) because this would allow the GIMP to be more similar to
other image editing programs.  Cross-application consistency is more
important than the efficiency of any single application, for those who
do not use this application frequently.  The majority of GIMP users do
not use it frequently.

So I think that the default configuration of the GIMP should have the
menubar in the image window or even use a full MDI model.  There could
be a "tip of the day" suggesting to disable this menubar and to use
only the right-click menu in order to save space and to work faster.
The default mode should focus on cross-application consistency.

-Raphaël