[Gimp-developer] Some feedback on Gimp 1.3.x

Before I begin, I've just joined the list so please excuse me
if these issues have been rasied before:

1. Everyone loves a good splash screen, but now Gnome has
startup-notification which kinda makes them superflous. Startup
notification lets you know that your applications is starting but it is
not as intrusive as a splash. I have edited  my Gimp Launcher to add the
line 'StartupNotify=true' and to change it to run 'gimp-1.3 -s'. To me
this feels much snappier than before. And eventually when nautilus has
integrated support for startup notification it would make sense to do
the same for the gnome mime-type.

-!-

2. To a lot of new users the way Gimp works is quite alien. A lot of
users just get used to it, but some find it too weird. One of the
hardest things to get used to is right clicking on an image to access
the menus. Personally I've been using gimp long enough for this to be
second nature to me, but on my computer I've turned the menubar in the
image window because other people who use my computer prefer it.

I still use the right click, and never even notice the menu bar, but for
every non-gimp user who sits down at my computer this effectively
"un-breaks" the gimp for them. So what I am suggesting is that this
toolbar be enabled by default.

For users who want to use the rightclick menu, the menubar is
un-obtrusive and can be turned off if they really hate having it there,
and for a lot of users this will be invaluable. I know the option is
there already, but it's the defaults that matter. Newbies are not going
to go looking for a menubar that they don't know exists.

-!-

3. This one I'm stealing from Alan Horkan(who i've cced). It would make
much more sense to me if the "Image->Transform->Rotate X Degrees" items
where instead labeled "Fip Horizontal", "Rotate Left" and "Rotate Right"

-!-

4. It be great in the Font selection dialog to be able to change the
text from "my mind is going..." to see other characters in the font.
Also it'd be better by default to replace this text with a selection of
characters, numbers, upper and lower case letters and sysbols.

-!-

If these ideas are not totally rejected i'll file them as bugs....
--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]
    [ Public Key: http://evolvedoo.sf.net/sisobatericomdotnet.asc  ]