Re: [Gimp-developer] EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 20:09, Jason Van Patten wrote:
> Is there a plan to support reading/writing EXIF information found in
> files such as JPEGs and TIFFs?

Sure. The plan is to come up with some mechanism to store information
(like EXIF) in and convert that information between several different
file formats, including JPEG and TIFF (Sven et aliud).

The current state is that there has been a patch to preserve and edit
EXIF information in JPEGs using libexif. This patch never got into the
GIMP nor was updated to 1.3.x as
(1) it would add another dependency to an external library
(2) it would not reach the goal as stated in above plan.

> And, libexif is JPEG-centric.  It's certainly handy, but it'd be even moreso
> to support other file formats (TIFF specifically.)

This request pops up a lot. My camera is really old and can't produce
TIFFs. So, I don't have any incentives to add support for TIFFs to
libexif. But I will happily integrate patches that are sent to me.

--
Lutz Müller <lutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>