Re: [Gimp-developer] Preferences suggestions

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 10:48, Sven Neumann wrote:
> GIMP is probably not the only GTK+ application people are using and
> setting the font size in the GIMP gtkrc would make it the only GTK+
> application that doesn't follow the font settings from the desktop
> enviroment. This is IMO a very bad idea.

Perhaps.  However, I'm running GNOME with GIMP 1.3 and the fonts for
text labels don't match at all - GIMP's are very small, GNOME's are
fine.  I haven't adjusted any font settings for the desktop and I have
no .gtkrc or .gtkrc.mine in my home directory.

Anyway, its a design decision. You won't please everyone. And I can, of
course, adjust the settings myself.

> > Hmmm.  Looking at it I'd say the notebook was used to address layout
> > issues and not for its page features.  If notebooks in notebooks don't
> > work well (I actually don't think I've ever tried that in my apps), then
> > the top level notebook should be replaced with something else so that a
> > notebook at the page level could be used.  The layout issues can be
> > solved with other GTK+ widgets.  That's just my opinion on dialog
> > design, of course.
>
> I don't see a way of doing such a dialog layout w/o using a
> GtkNotebook for the right part. At least not without the dialog
> resizing on page switches. I'm open for your suggestions however.

Well, it sounds like the notebook is enforcing a minimum size to the
dialog for you.  You'd have to do this manually by determining which
page was the largest.  I'm not positive but I think you can do this by
realizing each page first, checking the parent widgets width and then
setting the dialogs width appropriately before calling gtk_widget_show()
(not sure if this has changed in GTK2.0, however).

Alternatively, you could set the width of the folder lists or the
comment textview to be the widest page and force the dialog not to
shrink beyond what allows those to show completely.  I'd fiddle with
Glade for a bit to find a dialog layout that worked this way, then
implement the widgets in the preferences dialog (with our without using
Glade's code).

The trick is to find the widgets that let you do what the notebook is
enforcing for you.

All that said, considering that the only place you might have really
needed this can be replaced by just resizing the comment textview and
placing it on another page, I'd just forget the notebook issue for now.
It's easier to just move the textview and I'm sure there are more
pressing issues that you could work on.

--
Michael J. Hammel           | If we could just get everyone to close their eyes
The Graphics Muse           | and visualize world peace for an hour, imagine how