Re: [Gimp-developer] Preferences suggestions

Hi,

"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 06:10, Sven Neumann wrote:
> >
> > we use the default GTK+ font size and it is up to you to configure it.
>
> Why?  It would be easy for us to provide a font size setting and stuff
> it into a GIMP-specific gtkrc file, letting the user know that the
> changes will take effect the next time GIMP is started.  In fact, that's
> one of the usability features of GTK+ (even if few people talk about it
> as such).
>
> GTK+ does let the user configure lots of things on their own.  But that
> doesn't mean applications shouldn't provide user friendly options to
> handle it for the user.  (That's an arguable opinion, of course.)

GIMP is probably not the only GTK+ application people are using and
setting the font size in the GIMP gtkrc would make it the only GTK+
application that doesn't follow the font settings from the desktop
enviroment. This is IMO a very bad idea.

> > >    d. Why do we have a "maximum image size?"  Shouldn't GIMP
> > >       handle any image size?  Should this value be set as a
> > >       percentage (rounded to a power of 2) of installed memory?
> >
> > That setting is explained in the tooltip. It could probably be
> > reworded. I don't think we want to base it upon installed memory since
> > there is no proper way to determine the amount of installed memory.
>
> Is this value meant to be on a per Image Window basis or is it global to
> all open images?  That isn't clear in the tooltip.  If its per image, a
> short addition to the tooltip would cover this, I think.

it is of course per image. The only reason we have introduced this is
to prevent the user from accidentally entering wrong values into the
New Image dialog, causing GIMP to crash because it cannot allocate
enough memory for a 256m x 256m image.

> > the right half of the dialog is a notebook already and GTK+ doesn't
> > like notebooks in notebooks that much. We could decide to make the
> > comment textview smaller and add it to the New Image page.
>
> Hmmm.  Looking at it I'd say the notebook was used to address layout
> issues and not for its page features.  If notebooks in notebooks don't
> work well (I actually don't think I've ever tried that in my apps), then
> the top level notebook should be replaced with something else so that a
> notebook at the page level could be used.  The layout issues can be
> solved with other GTK+ widgets.  That's just my opinion on dialog
> design, of course.

I don't see a way of doing such a dialog layout w/o using a
GtkNotebook for the right part. At least not without the dialog
resizing on page switches. I'm open for your suggestions however.

Salut, Sven