Re: [Gimp-developer] Alpha channels

Hi,

Robert L Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1) How do I create an image with an alpha channel (and set the value
>    of the alpha channel)?  This is specifically so I can test alpha
>    channel handling in Gimp-print.  Specifically, I want to move the
>    alpha channel handling (and the color map handling, but that's a
>    lot easier) out of libgimpprint and into the plugin.

the alpha channel isn't associated with the image. It's part of the
layer so you basically create a new image, then create a layer with
type=RGBA_IMAGE and add it to the image.

> 2) It appears that thumbnail images (via
>    gimp_image_get_thumbnail_data) always contain an alpha channel
>    (unfortunately, this isn't really what I want for (1)).  Is there a
>    reason this is the case, or am I missing something?

the reason is that the composite buffer in the core always has an
alpha channel. The preview is created from this buffer and thus also
carries the alpha channel. Actually it should make your life easier
since you don't have to write code for the non-alpha case.

Salut, Sven