Re: [Gimp-developer] Which Gimp

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:06:29 -0800, "Robin Rowe" <rower@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Raphaël,
> > It looks like you have a bad opinion
> > of the GIMP developers, but I hope that you will change your mind....
>
> Although it doesn't improve my opinion that you lead with a personal attack
> misrepresenting my throughts, I do not in general have a "bad opinion" of
> GIMP developers. I do find some highhanded in seeking to direct me, who am
> not a GIMP developer, in how I spend my time.

I am sorry that you took this as a personal attack, because this
was definitely not my intention.  I am usually more careful when I
post something, but I was probably a bit too fast when I wrote my last
message.  But I hope that you can understand my reaction, since the
original version of your page gave a rather negative image of the GIMP
developers (this may not have been intentional, but that is the
feeling that I had after reading the page).  Thanks for updating the
page.  Actually, I should also thank you for creating that page in the
first place (I should have thanked you in my previous message already)
because it contains some useful information for those who are not
aware of the existence of the various versions (GIMP, Film Gimp and
GIMP+GEGL) or ports (Windows and MacOS).

> > This is wrong.  The plan was that Film Gimp and GIMP would merge
> > around version 2.0 (you can check the gimp-dev mailing list archives
> > from 2000 for some statements about that).
>
> I wasn't there, and only have the word of the original Film Gimp developers
> to go by. I have searched the archives and, except for complaints about it
> being difficult to locate or build, have found nothing about the HOLLYWOOD
> branch or Film Gimp.
>
> If you can produce any message from the archives to support your contention
> I would be interested to see it.

Hmmm...  It looks like I was wrong.  The message that I had read
before writing that paragraph was from Adam, but he did not mention
anything about merging the projects; he just said that GIMP 2.0 would
have 16-bit support (and made a fun comment about the release date):