[Gimp-developer] R&H on Film Gimp and GIMP

Hi,

I am one of the R&H engineers working on film gimp.  I have previously
posted a message describing our short term plans for film gimp
development.  Unfortunately, we have not really had time to begin on any
of these issues yet, but we are planning on starting within the next few
weeks to a month.

Please see my post at
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1271771&forum_id=10511

Regarding R&H's feeling towards gimp, filmgimp, and gegl:

GEGL was initiated by Calvin Williamson, a former R&H engineer, but we are
currently planning on using filmgimp in some modified form for the
forseeable future.  This is not to say that we would not welcome
development of GEGL, but we do not currently have any resources allocated
to it, nor do we plan to in the short term.

As for merging gimp with filmgimp, that seems very unlikely to us.  Even
assuming that it could be done in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. a few
months), it is not at all clear to us that this is desirable.  filmgimp
and gimp fulfill fundamentally different needs.  The needs of high-end
film production are quite different from the needs of web publishers,
video editors, artists, etc.

Programmer manpower is an expensive thing, and R&H allocates resources
(Calvin, Caroline Dahllof, and myself) to gimp because it is a cost
effective way of getting a suitable high-end paint tool.  If filmgimp went
in the direction of becoming a more general painting tool, it is entirely
possibly that we would branch yet again and maintain our own "r&h" branch
so that we can customize it as needed to meet our immediate day-to-day
needs.  This is not any kind of veiled threat-- it is the reality of r&h's
relationship with gimp.  gimp is a tool we will support to the extent that
it meets our production needs.

That said, the software engineer in me is slightly saddened by the fact
that we are duplicating (some) efforts from the gimp programmers.  I'm
sure most of what is on our todo list is on the gimp's todo list as well
(or has already been done).  However, some of things on our list
definately are *not* the same.  For example, we are eager to remove the
color & index modes we do not need for performance and cleanliness
reasons.  We are seriously considering ripping out all modes except for
32-bit floating point. This would drastically simplify the internal
rendering engine and allow us to optimize it significantly.  Since we
don't see any real reasons why high-end paint work could not be done
entirely in 32-bit float, this is a reasonable thing.  Obviously, for a
general paint tool like gimp, there is no question of maintaining 8-bit
support.  For us, the need to maintain this kind of flexibility with the
code and independence from non-high end feature requirements far outweigh
any software engineering ideals.

I hope this clarifies our position and bit and explains the current state
of r&h's gimp plans.

As always, please post comments or questions to (either) newsgroup.

Jon Cohen