Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Film Gimp and GIMP

Thus spoke Robin Rowe
> It is worth noting that the target audience of Film Gimp is motion picture
> studios. It makes sense for Film Gimp to have goals distinct from Gimp. GEGL
> is a different codebase from Gimp or Film Gimp. All three are run as
> independent projects with different management styles and different goals.
> It is reflection of the diversity and depth of the development and user
> communities that three projects seem justified. Four, if we also count
> ImageMagick.

Also worth noting is that GIMP has already spawned a major player in the open
source world - the GTK+ toolkit.  It would not be unexpected - nor necessarily
unwanted - if it were to spawn another major project.  The fact that Film GIMP
is another editing tool should not be the only reason to merge the two.  If the
target audiences and needs are distinct enough, then separate development
paths may be warranted.

What should not be lost, however, is an open communications path between the
projects.

> Please note that I work on Film Gimp because I enjoy it. What some imagine
> would be mindless duplication of effort between similar projects I see as an
> exciting opportunity to create alternative designs to delight users in new
> ways. Many project leaders seem to feel the same way. We have Linux and BSD,
> KDE and Gnome, and so forth. Being independent has some advantages. Film
> Gimp has achieved tremendous progress since July. In addition to that
> satisfaction, I have the pleasure of working with a team that I enjoy and
> that say they appreciate me.

Robin had an itch and he scratched it - it's the open source way.  I hope no
one chastises him for that.  I, for one, encourage him and wish he and his
team much success.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                      http://www.graphics-muse.com