Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-drawable-type doesn't work on images?

Roland Roberts (roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>     Simon> Images are *not* drawables. Images are drawable containers.
>     Simon> Only Layers, Channels (and Selections which are kind of
>     Simon> special case of channels) are drawables.
>
> Okay, then how does one determine the type of an image?  Do I have to
> iterate over the layers to find the type?  Can an image have layers
> which are of different types than the parent (e.g., a grayscale layer
> in an RGB image)?

No, the layer types have to be consistent (with the notable exception,
that the bottommost layer might not have an alpha channel, all the
layers on top of it have to have an alphachannel).

You can determine the global image type via (gimp-image-base-type ...)
but be aware that the the values returned are not compatible with
the values returned by gimp-drawable-type.

Bye,
        Simon

--
      Simon.Budig@xxxxxxxxxxx       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/