[Gimp-developer] ANNOUNCE: Gimp-Print 4.3.3

Everyone, please test this release thoroughly.  The Epson driver has
undergone significant changes from the current 4.2 branch, and I'd
like to merge this code back into 4.2, as it's going to be needed to
support the UltraChrome inkset in the newest printers.  I'd like this
to undergo some testing prior to a 4.2 prerelease.

Gimp-Print 4.3.3, released July 14, 2002, is a development release of
this package.

This software includes the Print plug-in for the Gimp, and GhostScript
and CUPS drivers, including Foomatic data.

The Gimp Print plugin requires the Gimp 1.2.

The CUPS driver requires CUPS 1.1.9 or higher.  1.1.14 or above is
highly recommended, as certain translation-related bugs are fixed and
it is possible to print true CMYK.

The Ghostscript driver requires Ghostscript 5.50, 6.51, or any later
GNU Ghostscript release based on 6.51 (e. g. 6.52).

The IJS GhostScript plugin driver requires GNU Ghostscript 6.53 or later
or APFL GhostScript 7.04 or later.

Please read the README file for full instructions on building and
installing this package.

Gimp-Print 4.3.3 contains the following major changes over Gimp-Print
4.3.2:

1) Printing at very low vertical resolution (typically less than 360
   DPI; 360 DPI itself is fine) in black and white mode on some Epson
   printers either failed or produced incorrect results.  This bug has
   been present for a while.

2) Quad tone grayscale inks, such as the Piezography (TM) inks, are
   now supported for most Epson Stylus printers.  This is not tuned
   for a particular inkset at this time, so the results will not be of
   top quality yet.

3) The Gimp Print plugin will now compile properly on commercial UNIX
   systems that do not have the asprintf function (which is
   libc-specific).

4) Various improvements to EvenTone dithering.

5) The Epson Stylus Photo 2100 and 2200, and 7600 and 9600, should now
   print correctly in seven color mode (for UltraChrome inks).

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Project lead for Gimp Print/stp --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net