[Gimp-developer] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Rationalizing Gimp-print

   Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:06:00 -0400
   From: Michael Sweet <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>

   Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   > The Gimp plugin is a hard case.  It's just not clear to me at all
   > where it really belongs and what it should be.  Some of its
   > functionality (such as the preview, and the color control sliders)
   > would be hard to reproduce if it were just a PPD-based printing
   > client, but except for the preview window that's more a limitation of
   > how at least the CUPS PPD files work than anything else.  The preview
   > functionality probably deserves to be a full-fledged widget in its own
   > right, and a lot of other applications could benefit from it.

   Well, it's not just CUPS PPD files, but PPD files in general.
   Hopefully that will be resolved well in CUPS 1.2 (we might even be
   using some stuff that Apple has been using for a while in MacOS),
   but in any case it is just a matter of time before there are no
   more excuses... :)

Any idea about timing?

   As for packaging the CUPS stuff separately and looking for
   libgimpprint (or gimpprint-config), that's something I'm prepared to
   do today, and we can bundle it with the standard CUPS distribution
   or as a separate download.

OK, we just have to work out the logistics.  I'd rather take it out of
4.3 when you release a version of CUPS including it, and leave it in
4.2 (so people using newer versions of 4.2 with legacy versions of
CUPS won't get screwed).

I think we need to leave genppd around somewhere, so that people
installing new versions of libgimpprint can update their PPD files.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Project lead for Gimp Print/stp --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net