[Gimp-developer] Layer Sets

Unless I'm mistaken, gimp doesn't have any support for layer sets or
folders. Other programs, such as photoshop, allow you to group layers.
The layers inside the group will first be merged. Then the result will
then be merged with the remaining layers.

Are there any plans to add support for something like this?
Alternatively would it be possible to implement this as a plug-in, or
would such a change be too fundamental?

I'm writing some software that depends on this feature in photoshop. It
would be great if we could use the gimp as well.

Thanks for any information or suggestions. Please respond directly to
me, since I'm not currently subscribed to this list.

-Erin