Fw: Re: [Gimp-developer] What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384)

I am posting the following message on behalf of Miles O'Neal <meo@xxxxxxx>
who cannot post to the list for the moment:

> |Currently, two [zoom] solutions have been proposed:
> |- Try to do what the user means: if there is a selection in the window,
> |  zoom in on that selection.  If only a part of the image is visible and
> |  the viewport is near the edge of the image (one of the scrollbars is at
> |  0 or maximum), then stay near that edge after zooming in.
>
> This one makes sense to me.
>
> |- Behave as if the zoom tool had been used temporarily: if the mouse
> |  pointer is inside the image window when the shortcut key is used, then
> |  zoom in on that point.  If not, then zoom in on the center of the window.
>
> This also makes sense, but only for
> people who have "click to focus" set.
> I use "focus follows pointer", so
> this one could result in some rather
> bizarre behavior, since the mouse
> pointer is guaranteed to be in the
> window, but is usually parked out
> of the way.
>
> Maybe a preference setting could
> toggle between these two?
>
> |We can only implement one of these solutions.  Which one do you think is
> |the best, from a usability point of view?
>
> Oh.  Then I would prefer the first.
>
> -Miles

I am not sure that I understand the point about the focus behavior.  The
shortcut keys will only be received by the window that has the current
focus.  What I was suggesting is that the GIMP checks explicitely if the
coordinates of the mouse pointer are within the image window.  If it is
in the image window (regardless of the focus model), then the GIMP would
zoom towards that point.  If not, then the current zoom behavior would be
used.

-Raphaël