Re: [Gimp-developer] action files in GIMP?

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:00:29 +0200, "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sgunderson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 03:17:35AM +0200, Branko Collin wrote:
> >I guess the easiest way to do that would be to store the output of
> >your program as a script-fu script.
>
> Or Perl-Fu -- I'd guess most people are slightly more comfortable writing
> Perl than Scheme...

But that would only work for a minority of GIMP users.  Nowadays, for better
or worse, the majority of GIMP users seem to be Windows users (in contrast
with the developers, who are almost exclusively Linux users or UN*X users).
And getting Gimp-Perl to work under Windows is not a trivial task (this can
also be a problem on several other non-Linux systems), so it is easier for
most people to use Script-Fu because it works "out of the box" on all
systems.

Besides, for someone who is not a programmer and does not know anything
about Perl and Scheme, I do not think that there is a big difference in the
learning curve.  Some people may be more comfortable writing Perl than
Scheme, but that's usually because they already know Perl or a similar
language, not because Perl is easier to learn.  That being said, the Scheme
implementation used for Script-Fu is far from perfect and not easy to
debug, so that could be a good reason for some people to use Perl (as long
as they are using Linux).

-Raphaël