Re: [Gimp-developer] Old unofficial plug-in maintainers don't die...

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:55:58 -0400, "Carol Spears" <cspears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2002-04-11 at 1255.35 +0200, David Neary typed this mail:
> > Following on from the other plug-in discussion, can anyone tell
> > me what the procedure is for updating old plug-ins which were
> > added by someone who is now (apparrently) unreachable?  [...]
>
> updating old plug-ins is cool!  which ones did you work on?

I suppose that you can find the answer to that question by reading
the last messages in the thread "Re: Warning! New user!" posted in
the newsgroup comp.graphics.apps.gimp.  DigitalSignature was a 1.0
plug-in that could not be compiled with 1.2, but there are many
other plug-ins that have not been updated.

The easiest way to store the updated plug-in in the registry seems
to be to create a new entry "DigitalSignature2".  But this is not
very elegant.  It would be nice to have a generic solution that
would allow another author to store a new plug-in using the same
name as an existing plug-in, if the new plug-in is for a different
version of the GIMP (and if the old author cannot be contacted
anymore, although the registry cannot check that by itself).

We should think about a good solution to this problem before 1.4 is
released, because there will be even more problems due to the
transition to GTK+ 2.0...

Of course, there is still the open issue of designing a good plug-in
management system from GIMP 2.0, but that's less urgent.

-Raphaël