Re: [Gimp-developer] xtns?

On 12 Mar 2002, at 1:08, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:07:47AM +0100, Branko Collin wrote:
> >So, if you have not answered this before, why is Xtns called Xtns?
>
> Shorthand of "extensions"?

That was my guess too.

However, that does not explain why it was chosen in the first place.

I feel that using abbreviations in menus (especially top-level menus)
is not a sign of good interface design. I realize that once the
decision was made to embed menus into the toolbox, the next problem
was how to keep the menu names short enough to fit the most commonly
used toolbox window width.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough how the X windowing system
deals with the lack of wide top level menu bars that using MDI or a
Mac like menu bar at the top of the screen provide.

The larger X apps I know either open a document window right away
(GhostView, some text editors) or open some initial window (xv). I am
not sure both 'solutions' are desirable for the GIMP either.

--
branko collin
collin@xxxxxxxxx