Re: [Gimp-developer] Raphael's edits, was Re: test this howto now

A good Compiling the GIMP from a Tarball HOW-TO seems like a
really good idea. I think this outline covers the main points,
but certainly could use some rearranging.  I hereby offer it up
for tweaks and adjustments.

How to Compile GIMP from a Tarball:  a tentative outline

1.  Introduction
	1.1  What's a Tarball?
	1.2  Why do I want to compile GIMP?
2.  Getting the Tarball
	2.1  Where's the briar patch?  (Where to put the gimp-x.y.tgz
file)
	2.2  Saving the source (source directory tree)
3.  Do I have the right libraries?
	3.1  List of required stuff here (with how to get it).
	This is starting to look recursive, no?
4.  ./configure and what it means.
	4.1  What's this --prefix= that they keep yammering about?
	4.2  Differences between /usr and /usr/local, and why some
stuff goes
	     in one place and some stuff goes in the other.
5.  Why a new GIMP won't play well with an old GIMP and what to
do about it.
	5.1  Library version conflicts
	5.2  Include paths
	5.3  Library paths
	5.4  ldconfig, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and other arcana
	5.5  Removing an old version of GIMP - how do I do this?
6.  Compiling on various systems:  /* Maybe this should come
much earlier */
	6.1  Linux and its flavors
		6.1.1 Red Hat
		6.1.2 Debian
		6.1.3 Mandrake
		6.1.4 Slackware
		6.1.5  etc, etc, ad lib.
	6.2  Solaris
	6.3  HP-UX
	6.4  Other Unices
	6.5  Windows
	6.6  Mac?
7.  Problems and troubleshooting
	We need to collect at least the most common problems here and
provide solutions.

Comments welcome,

--
--Jeff