Re: [Gimp-developer] PyGimp

Hi,

Tomek <tlr25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I would like to use PyGimp for my project.
> Ideally, I would want to write a stand-alone Python program that would
> manipulate images using gimp libraries. I had few attempts at doing it,
> but I was always getting errors...
> [tomek@tlr25 tomek]$ python
> Python 2.1.1 (#1, Aug 30 2001, 17:36:05)
> [GCC 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.1 2.96-0.61mdk)] on linux-i386
>
> GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 138 (g_hash_table_lookup): assertion
> `hash_table != NULL' failed.
>
> LibGimp-ERROR **: could not find handler for message: 5
> aborting...
> Aborted
>
> Is it possible to run it stand-alone, that is from a Python program,
> without executing gimp? If so, how can I do it?

how is your plug-in supposed to use the gimp functions without having
the gimp core running? The small libgimp library plug-ins link against
only handles the communication with the main gimp application. If
there's no gimp running at the other end of the wire things simply
won't work. At least not with the current design of The GIMP (we
imagine something into this direction for the future...).

> I have found a method to do it in perl - by using extension-perl-server,
> but nothing like this was present for Python. If it was not written so
> far, would it be difficult to do it?

probably not too difficult. I would be surprised if it has not been
written yet but then I haven't used the Python bindings yet ...

Salut, Sven