[Gimp-developer] clone tool not working?!?

Hello all,

I'm experiencing this problem with the clone tool and have been
searching the web and groups and mailing lists all over without
finding anything.

What's happening:
While working on an rgb xcf file I choose the clone tool, do the
CTRL-left click thing to set the source position. when I release
CTRL the mouse pointer never changes from the parking
prohibited style thingie to the destination cursor.

I've read a single mail with this as a complaint/possible bug report
and a single answer saying the problem was not reproduceable.

The system I'm running this on is a SuSE 7.1 linux with Ximian
Gnome and the 1.2.2. Ximian gimp package installed. I have also
tried this on a Solaris 8 machine with non-Ximian 1.4 GNOME installed
and the 1.2. Gimp that came with it and a v1.1.95 Gimp somebody
installed elsewhere. Same thing happening everywhere.

I also tried a pristine new black and white image, added layers and
things, to no betterment.

If everybody else is using this without problem, what am I doing
wrong? Is this user error? some library/gtk problem? Has anybody
a clue what I should try next (before compiling Gimp from scratch)?

TIA,

Karl.

http://www.gmx.net