Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: patch for gimp/po/fr.po

Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> I'd be interested to know how to avoid that. I'm pretty sure I can
> construct a scenario (with multiple threads and memory mapping,
> for example) where it's impossible to tell until you get the SEGV. For
> instance, I memory map a file, pass a pointer into the mapped
> region into the library and then unmap it some time later from another
> thread.
>
> Even if the library were checking (and I'm not sure how it could) that
> the pointer points to valid address space, there will be a time gap
> between the check and the use, and my unmapping can get in there.
>
> Having the library install its' own signal handler is not an acceptable
> solution, either.

Well, call me stupid, but isn't that what mutexes are for? Thread 1 sets
the mutex, then calls the library with a pointer to some part of the
shared memory. Make sure thread 2 checks the mutex before unmapping and
there's no problem at all.

Thing is, how is the library going to know whether the pointer is valid
or not? All the standard C functions that expect pointers will happily
write wherever you point them to, even if it causes a segfault. I don't
see how this is a problem with the library. If I divide by zero (which
is essentially calling the divide function with illegal values) I get an
exception as well.

Lourens