Re: [Gimp-developer] glib/gtk+ 2.0 port

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:12:05AM +0100, Nick Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 01:27:59AM -0400, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > For CVS gimp, it is definitely not a problem to require the current
> > bleeding edge GTK.
>
> Malcolm did you ask me first? If you didn't, how did you come to the
> conclusion that it wouldn't be a problem for me (a developer, even if
> not one who's able to dedicate many hours to Gimp right now) to
> install and tend a GTK+ HEAD tree just to keep my Gimp builds green?

Get a grip! I'm not the one making the decision; what I posted was an
opinion.

That said, if you want to do development and gimp chooses to track
gtk+'s main branch, then there is a once off effort to get the gtk setup
working and port your stuff. Then it's minor updating and rebuilding.
For many months now I, personally, have not had problems keeping a gtk+
CVS installation running for my development work. They are in API freeze
(more or less) now, so things are only going to get better.

> How will this make things better for me?

Apparently you've decided it won't. Deal with it.

>NB I am not blind and I don't write code in Hebrew

So pango is not included specifically for you. You are lucky. However,
the i18n team will make use of pango to get decent display and widget
layout. I admit that a visually impaired version of the Gimp would be,
well, interesting, but a version allowing alternate input methods would
be useful (e.g. somebody who cannot use their hands). Incorporating
these toolkits means that _other_ people can come along and make your
plugins work well for everybody.

Malcolm

--
How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand...