Re: [Gimp-developer] glib/gtk+ 2.0 port

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 08:12:28PM +0200, Michael Natterer wrote:
> And BTW, GIMP 1.4 will be released _after_ Gtk 2.0 is released in a
> stable version (which will be in not too distant future).

Yes, these sound like excellent reasons to port Gimp to Gtk+ 2.0 as soon
as possible after the Gtk+ team release the first stable version.

But for some reason people want to do it... tomorrow? next week?

So, now I have some more questions

* Can you 100% guarantee that Gtk+ HEAD builds and runs?
If not, every time it's red we stall work on Gimp. That's no good.

* Can you 100% guarantee that APIs are frozen? How about ABIs?
If not we have to screen out errors caused by mis-matched versions on
a daily basis just as some projects did during 1.1.x. It is painful.

I appreciate that Gtk+ hackers would love a big project like Gimp to
be running on 2.0 from day zero, but I am no longer interested in Gtk+
development, I'm a user and I don't have time to fight with it during
the few moments I can spare to fix Gimp bugs.

Of course my views don't count for much, but you asked for them :)

Nick.