Re: [Gimp-developer] Dutch

On 6 Jun 2001, at 23:52, Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Branco Collin wrote:
>
> > 'gradient' is called 'verloop' in Dutch.
>
> Completely unrelated to what you're saying: I think 'gradient' doesn't
> need to be translated - it's a perfectly good Dutch word (almost: it
> should be 'gradiënt'): according to Van Dale it means, amongst others,
> 'verloop van een grootheid in de ruimte'.

If you like, we could discuss my reasons for choosing 'verloop' in e-
mail or on the Dutch translators' list. However, I do not think that
the contents of the translation should be discussed here, unless you
feel I did a bad job and would want the developers to know. I gave
'verloop' as an example, because it was the first thing I could think
of.

Speaking of which, if you do have more such constructive comments, I
would be very glad to hear of them.

> > OK, they could look that one
> > up in the dictionary, but I am sure that there are phrases in the
> > GIMP translation that, due to their relative novelty, are not in but
> > the most recent dictionaries. The reason I am doing those
> > translations at all, is because I also believe that having a
> > translation available will help to educate most new users, and those
> > users whose demand of English is not what they think is, and other
> > user categories I cannot think of right now. In other words, I am
> > helping to present the information as good as possible.
>
> Perhaps it would help (but also be a lot of work) to make it very easy
> to switch between different languages in the menus, and/or show
> tooltips with translations to another language.

If only one could do the switching from the Preferences dialog, that
would already be cool.

> Related to you translation work: I might be interested in helping you
> out with that. Perhaps you can explain what and how you're doing it?

Ah, good. :-) I will mail you about that tomorrow.

--
branko collin
collin@xxxxxxxxx