Re: [Gimp-developer] Perl server problem

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001, Chetan Dhavse wrote:
[...]
> [--enable-stack-trace {never|query|always} option is not available in
> with gimp 1.1.04]
> ____
[...]
> This is the strace -p #### -s9999 o/p
>
> #####################################
> read(0, "", 4096) = 0
> getpid() = 308
> write(1, "/usr/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/Perl-Server (pid:308): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S]tack trace or [P]roceed: ", 99) = 99
> read(0, "", 4096) = 0
> getpid() = 308
> write(1, "/usr/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/Perl-Server (pid:308): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S]tack trace or [P]roceed: ", 99) = 99
> read(0, "", 4096) = 0
> getpid() = 308
> #####################################
>
> Please suggest any changes that I should make.

This shows that you are affected by the old bug related to the stack
trace: the process is stuck in an infinite loop trying to ask you if
you want a stack trace or not, but its input is not connected to
anything so it loops forever.  This is why the --enable-stack-trace
option was introduced in the more recent versions of the Gimp.  The
old version that you are using (1.1.4) did not have that option so it
will be very hard for you to know exactly what is wrong.

You have two options now:
- Upgrade to 1.2.1 (or to the current CVS version in the gimp_1_2
  branch).  This is the best solution because if you find any bugs in
  that version, they can be fixed for everybody.
- If you really cannot upgrade to 1.2.x for some reason, then you
  should at least recompile your old version and modify the part of
  the code that asks if a stack trace should be produced.  But it is
  likely that the crash (generating the stack trace) is caused by a
  bug that has been fixed since then.  So even if you manage to find
  where your script crashes, you will probably find that you have to
  upgrade to a newer version in order to get rid of the bug that is
  causing the crash.

-Raphael