Re: [Gimp-developer] Use of PHP-templates @ new Gimp.org

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 12:49:41AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> Martijn Weisbeek (weisbeek@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > So I also read some people mentioned PHP's spaghetti-like nature.
> > However, I also like to state that using PHP will enable a lot
> > more programmers to be able to contribute.
> Sorry - but at this point I have to interrupt you. We probably don't
> need "programmers". Our main concern has to be content. The average
> programmer (including me) would give you lots of template-systems
> based on PHP/Perl/Zope/Whatever and is totally happy that there are
> 1000 ways to do this. But the content that comes from these people
> is mostly crap - have a look at Tom's demo site  ;-)

Exactly! So far I have just been converting content from the current
site, because I'm not a very good technical writer.

> So we have to be careful not to scare away the people that actually
> can deliver the content of the site. IMHO it is way better to have a
> <!--#include "incs/footer.html" -->
> than a PHP-Page which -- for a more advanced system -- looks more
> like a program than a content-container.

I made the headers and footers implicit because I know people are bad
at putting that stuff at the top/bottom of every page. I also made it
impossible to write programs in the content because I think that's a
bad idea. Of course, you do have to put some human-readable settings
thingies at the top of every file to get useful headers & navigation.
This also (fortunately) makes it impossible to update pages with an
WYSIWYG HTML editor :)

Cheers,

Tom

--
     Tom Rathborne     tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/
 "For as long as space endures, and for as long as living beings remain, until