Re: [Gimp-developer] The GIMP Webpage

On 23 May 2001 19:38:48 +0200, Christoph Rauch wrote:
> Raphael Quinet schrieb:
>
> >  > > That's pretty poor. Why would I want to update my bookmarks?
> >  > You need not. gimp.org will happily redirect you to the page you wanted.
> > Hmmm...  This is better than nothing, but if would be nice if there
> > could be some real pages (not redirects) at the following URLs, to
> > which a number of other web sites (or user bookmarks) are pointing:
>
> downloads.html = /download/
> and so on? different url, but same content. does that confuse the users?
>
> For the deeper nested pages like http://www.gimp.org/the_gimp_system_reqs.html
> which are not as often linked I would recommend a redirect.

We should have those most-often-needed pages there, as they are not
going to collide with the new structure (I prefer directories too, makes
stuff more simple to maintain) - The pages would just contain a template
to "this page is moved to [insert new url here]", once there are no hits
to them in the logs anymore, we can remove them.

And I think the best fallback thing to do is to have the "404 Document
not found" -page be a site map:

	----------------------------------- ---- -- - -   -

	Oops, the page you are looking for is not found!

	Please, have a look below for the information you are looking
	for:

	   * About the Gimp             * Download
	     -short info blurb here       -short info blurb here

	   * Learn to use Gimp!         * Get new plugins
	     -short info blurb here       -short info blurb here

	   * No good? Then why not visit our _main page_ and try looking
	     around in there?

	If you came through a link from another website,
	please be kind and inform the webmaster to update their
	link! Thank you!

	The Gimp Development Team

Tuomas

--
|  Tuomas Kuosmanen  |  Ximian  |  Art Director  |