[Gimp-developer] Re: Plug-ins, menus and user interface

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Nick Lamb wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 05:47:33PM +0200, Raphael Quinet wrote:
> > One of the things that has been mentioned several times while
> > discussing the distribution of plug-ins is the fact that the menus are
> > too crowded, and new users can easily get lost.  The user interface is
> > indeed a significant problem, but I think that it should be handled
> > separately from the packaging issues.
>
> Yup. How about we provide a user-friendly "Gimp Themes" (don't call it
> that if you don't want to) feature
>
> At install time the user can pick from whatever themes came with Gimp
> and with any auxiliary plug-in packages or whatever
>
> "Potato Shop convert"
> "Expert pixel hacker"
> "Web wrangler"
> "Just the basics"
> "Ms Finger Paint"
>
> Themes define the keyboard shortcuts (possible today) the menu layout
> (probably not too hard) and the toolbox icons (maybe harder).
> The "menu-path" built into a plug-in would become only a recommendation.
> We might like to consider whether themes can be added together (which
> would make it easier for 3rd parties) or not.

I think that such a customizability feature would be a great idea.
However, what could be a better idea is to separate the themes into
sections (E.g: menus, toolbox, keyboard, dialogs), and the sections
themselves into chunks. One could combine more than one chunk to create a
superposition of chunks, or a total section.

Now, the question is whether are we going to supply an editor for the
various components of the theme, or are we going rely on the fact that
they will be created by experienced hackers who know how to edit text
files. The best solution in the long run, will be to allow the user to
customize his own environment GUIishly, but that will take a lot of
hacking.

In any case, if anybody is up to "theming" the GIMP's customization in
this way, then I am all for it. In my opinion, this will take a lot of
time and effort to implement, but it will make the GIMP a more attractive
program.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish