Re: [Gimp-developer] RGB vs RGBA - why Add Alpha Channel?

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 06:30:53PM +0100, egger@xxxxxxx wrote:
>  Does this mean that you agree to ditching all the special code
>  for the 3 and 1 byte case as well? I'd really love to see this
>  changes although as already stated this might introduce a bit
>  memory overhead in case the user didn't use the alpha channel
>  at all.

If we can get back COW during 1.3 this overhead is zero (all new
channels / layers etc. can be created as COW tiles with the
apppropriate contents -- huge speedup).

I believe COW was lost because there were problems making it stable
with all the spaghetti in 1.1.x, but presumably as we wipe out the
worst of the spaghetti we should be able to bring it back, no?

Nick.