Re: Logarithmic histogram

On Sunday, 4 Feb 2001, Roel Schroeven wrote:

> I noticed in the source code that the histogram widget uses a logarithmic
> scaling. Is there a reason to do it that way, as Photoshop et al. seem to
> use a linear scaling.

I just checked the CVS history; we've been using a log y axis (ie
pixel count) ever since the histogram widget was writen.  Jay Cox
checked in the initial rev (including log scale) in March 1999.

I've played around a bit with gimp looked at some web-based tutorials
for histogram use in photoshop, and while I agree that gimp's log axis
graphs don't look very similar to photoshop's, I don't think photoshop
just uses raw counts.  They also scale their data, but a little less
aggressively than by a log scale.

Austin