Re: RFC: The future of The GIMP

I was thinking something along these lines myself prior to reading this
post.  I am rather fond of how the helix updater works.  It is important
to remember that in many places in Europe it is still pay-by-the-minute
for net connections so it would be nice for some users not to need to
install all the plug-ins when they want something more basic.  Also then
the user could run something like helix-update (sorry, but I like Helix
Gnome) to fetch and install the new plug-ins when they come out without
anything happening to GIMP itself.  Once the help files are done, they
will help people decide what things they want in terms of plug-ins.  It
would be good if downloading and installing a plugin also added relevant
help files to the system.

As we consider the future of GIMP, I think we may want to consider our
target audience.  Who exactly is the target audience of GIMP?  In my
opinion, it is not only useable by the high-level artists like tigert
and lewing and everyone else I am neglecting, but also by the more
amatuer users like me.  I'm no great artist but it rocks for web
graphics.  As it is further developed, we need to remember to make it
easily available to the less advanced users of linux systems who maybe
can't make and install on their own but depend on RPMs and helix-update
and things like that to maintain their systems.  I know that these user
interfaces are a lower priority compared to the actual functioning of
the program, but it is something to keep in mind.
Anyways, I love the GIMP.  I'm not much of a developer (I suck at
programming) but I will help however I can.  And many thanks to those of
you who have made it the great program it is.
bex