Re: 2-D Gradients

Shlomi;

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:21:36AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> If anybody is familiar with the Gimp's gradient editting
> capabilities then he is probably familiar with the state-of-the-art
> one dimensional (1-D) gradient editting. My problem is that it's
> only one dimensional and does not allow you to edit a gradient in a
> plane.
>
> Does anybody know of any methodologies and algorithms for creating a
> two-dimensional gradient editting. I.e: I will be able to define
> points and shapes on the plane with colors that correspond to those
> handles, and then use blending methods between them, so that I'll
> eventually have a gradient that spreads across the 2-D plane.
>
> The question is: how do I do it?
>
> So, if anybody can enlighten me or point to a reference or link
> about it, please do.

I recommend that you look at swirl.c in xscreensaver:
    http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/
It makes nice swirly patterns based on the distance/angle of each
pixel from a random set of points. Shouldn't be to hard to add
lines/shapes to the algorithm as there are plenty of good
closest-point-on-shape algorithms out there. An editor for this sort
of gradient, attached to GIMP gradients and all other GIMP goodness,
would be great fun.

Cheers,

Tom

--
--   Tom Rathborne     tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/
--  "It's Like A Warzone, Deep Inside Of Me / When My Mind Becomes My Enemy"